When she first told me she bought a “Hoop” last fall I laughed and teased her and called her a hippie. I assure you I wasn’t bullying her, in fact I’m honored and grateful to call her my best friend and besides she often counters with something about my becoming vegan. :-) She hoops, wears pachouli and would have been a perfect hippie peace child had she been born in that era, and this girl is one of the kindest, most caring and thoughtful people I know. She’s inspired more people than I can even tell you, you really need to see the affect she has on people. People are drawn to her and since she’s started hooping last fall, she’s put over 200 hoops into the world. Yes, she makes them too! I even have 7 of my own and a few extras in case anyone wants to join me. Hooping is ridiculously fun. These aren’t your standard kid hula hoops you can buy in the store, these are bigger and heavier and much easier to use. Even if you don’t think you can do it, Lesley will teach you how and have you hooping in no time. Promise.
I suggested she let me take some promo pictures for her to use on her new website and on a beautiful Spring day we ventured out to the woods behind her house so I could capture her love for hooping!
This is one of my favorite images from our session together. Can’t you see the joy?
The light in her woods was amazing
I caught this image right before she had to stop herself from falling over and I love it paired up with one of her signs at her house…
Another mantra of Lesley’s that I also keep in a place that I can see it every day…
Lesley is also a certified Hoop Instructor and teaches a hooping arobics class at the Dojo in Algonac on Saturday mornings. It’s hard for me to get to now that wedding season is underway, but I took it once and what a workout! I asked Lesley to tell me some of the reasons she loves hooping to share on my blog and she gave me her top 10 reasons she loves it.
1. I love the way the hoop feels rotating around my body.
2. I love how it makes me smile from the inside out.
3. I love the people it has brought into my life.
4. I love watching women who hooped as little girls but feel they have lost their mojo because they can not keep their grand daughters little plastic hula hoops up. Then they pick up one of my hoops and oh my Lord they still got it! That little girl inside of them comes alive!
5. I love making hoops with sparkly tape.
6. I love hooping with children. They are never shy and will try almost anything. I learn new moves from kids all the time. Just the other day I learned I can hoop on my nose because a little girl asked if I could.
7. I love going to a park with a handful of hoops and within 15 minutes I have smiling faces twirling and swirling around me.
8. I love that I can dance with a hoop. I love music but have never good dancer. This is a wonderful outlet for self expression.
9. I love that my hoop has helped to get my pre-baby figure back
10. I think you get the idea…I love everything about hooping